Amazing Facts About Solar Power by Guest Blogger Rubela!
Amazing facts about solar panels
Solar panels are basically assembled by joining together solar or photovoltaic cells that capture the energy of the sun. It is through these photovoltaic cells that light energy gets converted into electricity with the help of an electrical device. Solar power is truly the fuel of the future as it is clean, green and also abundant, unlike the fossil fuels that we are consuming at an alarming rate! Meanwhile, here are some amazing facts about solar panels:
1. Solar panels are advantageous as they can bring electricity is even the most remote of places, where it is difficult to get electrical wiring done. The interiors of Australia would hugely benefit out of this as solar panels require minimum maintenance and only require a back-up generator and batteries to function.
2. Solar energy, despite having a promising future, is still quite expensive and requires a considerable amount of initial investment - although the long term benefits pay off those expenses.
3. Solar energy has been used since times immemorial, and a British scientist by the name of John Herschel had already invented his version of the solar cooker some two hundred years ago!
4. Albert Einstein won a Nobel Prize in 1921 for his experiments on photovoltaic power that included solar power.
5. If you make photovoltaic cells out of silicon found in one ton of sand, then it has the capacity to produce as much electricity as that produced by burning 500,000 tons of coal!
6. California gets abundant daylight and the capital city San Francisco can actually cater to all its daily electricity requirements by installing solar panels over all school and Government building rooftops alone!
7. Germany generates solar energy during the parts of the day when it is sunny and then it stores in batteries in order to consume it during cloudy days.
8. During the year 2009, ten thousand homes in the US disconnected themselves from the grid and used solar power for their electricity needs. These homes even managed to sell the excess.
Solar energy has a great potential and it is also becoming affordable these days, which has increased its popularity even more. With new and innovative technologies giving rise to sophisticated and efficient solar panels, there is a worldwide interest to exploit this renewable energy source. There are many parts of the world that are arid and receive maximum sunlight throughout the year, and therefore if solar panels are installed in such places, we might end up tapping solar energy in an optimal way! By installing solar panels in our homes at an individual level, not only do we adopt an eco-friendly way of generating electricity, but we also end up reducing the household expenditure towards electricity - which is an added benefit too!
About the author: Rubela is a blogger by profession. She loves writing on technology and luxury. Beside this she is fond of gadgets. Recently an article on Bosch tankless water heater attracted her attention. These days she is busy in writing an article on Tassimo coffee maker.
About Poco Solar: Poco Solar is a full service solar company that provides solar electric, solar pool heating, solar hot water heating and repair of solar systems in Monterey County, San Benito County, San Mateo County, Santa Clara County, Santa Cruz County. With more than 25 years of experience we have been helping Bay Area California residents stay comfortable, save energy and sell excess energy back to PG&E.